Wireless network is a network of the most widely adapted as friendly to the view and reduce the level of stress that is fairly effective. There are many applications of wireless networks in daily life, such as:
1. Wireless network for office
2. Wireless network for home
3. Wireless network for business activities such as outlet shopping, restaurants and the like.
The rapid use of non-wired hardware such as tablets, smart phones and the like has changed the lifestyle of many people and way of life everyday. In this post will be gathered all the things associated with the use of wireless devices.
3 factors that must be considered in the use of Wi-Fi:
1. 100% Wifi can not replace a cable reliability. For applications that need a dedicated connection and does not receive the signal dropping little tolerance then still need to connect via a network cable.
2. Location. Determining a good location in the sense that it can reach the optimal place is very important in the implementation of Wi-Fi.
3. Access point. A great brand is usually implied from the many reviews from users of the goods. Famous brand can also be a benchmark in determining the choice of a good access point. In some cases, a brand may be issued a different version for the type of goods. They are targeting the low or medium economy. For those who need a good kind of stuff usually look for the label ‘industry’ although in fact used for the house.
Let’s start with the first case; how to build a wireless network for your office.
How to setup wireless network for Office
I. Defining Requirements
Some of the questions below will help you in determining the proper purposes:
– How many divisions will be connected in a network? accounting, marketing, HR and others. Final results are expected from this question only numbers.
– How many people from each of these divisions that need to connect to the network? Create a table of answers to this question.
– What equipment is needed to connect to the network? Create a list of tools / devices with divisions that will use the equipment.
– Separate the device which of the above answers that need connections via cable and which one can use a wireless connection. Server applications in the office requires a dedicated connection through the network cable.
Based on the above data can be made network topology contains equipment and supporting infrastructure for the needs of the office. From the figure it can be seen which parts can be made via the wireless connection and which are not.
II. Choosing the appropriate network devices
The main function of a router in the network is to connect all devices in the network. Internet connection that is given from internet service provider (isp) enter into the router and then forwarded to the switch or forwarded to all other devices in the network through a wireless medium and came with different segment.
Example of connecting two different segment :
Your ISP give ip address 10.20.30.xxx with netmask 255.255.255.0 . This ip address (public address) connect to internal segment (office lan address) like 192.168.1.xxx with netmask 255.255.255.0 .
Many router nowadays also provide wireless access and pigtail. A few key points for choosing router for wireless office :
– Web based access, you can access and monitor your network from everywhere as long you have internet access.
– Vlan support, virtual LAN is a must to have feature for an office. You can divide your division into Virtual LAN while securing your network by provide separate access for guess in their ‘own’ network.
– VPN, if you not familiar with Virtual private network (VPN) then let me tell you about this friendly feature. You can connect to your office from anywhere using internet connection with VPN client and when you connected you’ll assigned your office ip address and that’s mean You are virtually exist. You can access anything (computer, printer, document etc) like you’re visit your office. Depend on your office requirement. Cisco provide a friendly table of their Wireless small business router. Maximum VPN connection provided from 5 to 100 connections.
– Wireless Frequency, Brand like Asus has a product called ASUS RT-N66U that support 2.4 GHz/ 5 GHz. That mean you support wireless device that use frequency 2.4 or 5 GHz. By using more frequency it mean you support more device to get connected. Equipment that supports a lot of frequency usually also have followed the latest standards, such as 802.11n or 802.11ac.
2. Wifi Range Extender
For certain rooms like meeting rooms which need access to multimedia such as video streaming then need a tool that can amplify the signal and scope. Netgear provides a tool that can provide gigabit speeds via wireless. Enough to handle 5 devices in a meeting room with rich multimedia features. There is also a USB port that can be connected to the printer to print photos and documents during the meeting.
Difference between Wireless Access Point and Wireless Router
Wireless Access Point need internet source and this internet source came from Router. Ask the seller if you’re in doubt.
Wifi range extender is not router and this stuff work in conjunction with a router.
3. Plug and Play Wifi Repeater
Sometime due to office building design you’ll get low signal area but you don’t like to use ‘big’ size device then you can use Plug and Play Wifi repeater. Don’t get confuse with the term. Wifi repeater and wifi range extender is the same. This device depend on your router to get internet link / access. No too much repeater or range extender in theory. The only limitation is budget and requirement. You can put as many wifi repeater as you want.
Beware : even you’re free to put as many device as you want then you still need to put it carefully and minimize radiation.
A building with 3 floors to accommodate many divisions with the following composition:
Division A: 10 persons
Division B: 10 persons
Division C: 3 person
Division D: 4 person
Manager: 3 person
Total: 30 persons
Division E: 3 person
Division F: 3 person
Division G: 1 person
Division H: 1 person
Division I: 3 person
Division A: 6 person
Total: 17 persons
CEO: 1 person
HR: 2 person
How many devices needed to create a wireless network for this office?
In general only need 3 devices. With composition:
1. First floor use router like ASUS RT-N66U which use high memory and provide lot functionality. Wan port got the internet from the internet service provider. From web based control of access you can enable other service such VPN, enable mutiple SSID for guess access and all division in first floor. If needed or requested by management you can divide the divisions into virtual lan (VLAN) plus give wireless printing device by connecting its USB port.
2. 2nd floor use access point and get the internet connection from the router in 1st floor. If the signal is not good due to the wall and other obstacles then you can get the cable as the media.
3. The third floor use range extender device with target for 4 or 5 bars of signal strength.
If management want more for its meeting room then use Netgear that provide up to 1200 mbps connectivity.